Zahrah Perry Interview : The Perry Book










On May 24, I had an interview with one of my favorite bloggers from South Africa, The Perry Book by Zahrah Perry. The blog is something of sought, a combination of the bloggers life experience, day wear and her store. The interview took place at Woolies Café after 30 minutes of me being late as usual. A hug and kiss on the cheek exchanged, I introduced myself properly as we sat on a corner table for privacy. As she introduced herself I could not help myself but stare at her rare beauty, even toned skin, big smile and her striking eyes and then I remembered she entered Miss South Africa 2 years ago. I briefly asked about her background while we ordered a cappuccino and a latte for her with a sandwich and a chocolate muffin with berry jam for me. Her upbringing consisted of being a child model for brands such as Guess children, Natjies etc. Zahrah started modeling at a very young age and entered some beauty pageants as a teenager while also travelling a bit as her father was European and later relocated to South Africa when she was still a child.



Zahrah started blogging in high school with a life journal concept in mind, sharing her life experiences and how her day was spent. A couple of months in the blogging world she did not expect to get any recognition as her blog posts were merely for her and her schoolmates. At the age of fifteen she started doing promotional work and took her blog seriously as she started getting invites to events and launches. After finishing her Matric she went to the University of Cape Town to pursue Media Writing. “As a first year student you tend to access everything around you and UCT was not for me” Zahrah mentions. She explains that she is not the type of girl who likes to brag and look down on people and that is what she received from the university and her fellow classmates. She decided to enroll herself at the University of Western Cape for the following year and left UCT. As a blogger she wrote her thoughts of the university and its lifestyle with no intentions whatsoever but as time passed, she received hateful comments from UCT students stating that she made a big mistake leaving the university. Doing her third year now at UWC, she looks back at all the comments she received when she compared the two universities and laughs quoting the pretentious “snobs” she met at UCT and the true friends she has from UWC.  While sipping on my cappuccino Zaharah admits that she only started focusing and taking note of her blog in her second year in university as she got an internship for two years at Woolworths Head Quarters. While doing the internship she was scouted and asked to audition for Miss South Africa. 









As Zahrah explains the experience she went through as a contestant, I am shocked at her revelations about the pageant. She briefly explains to me that her mother was also a finalist back in her young days for Miss South Africa, which was part of the reason she auditioned as well. She recalls the auditions remembering speaking to some of the girls  and realizing later that the only girls who made the top 32 where mostly models. “I remember speaking to this black girl when we were being interviewed for the cut to top 10 and she explaining to me how much pressure it was for her” Zahrah explains and all this was fact due to that this was not the first time the black girl entered. As the cut to the top ten continues, Zahrah is disgusted as she explains to me that she was insulted by the judge’s comments about her race. “ They were betting on what race I was, some saying I am colored, some saying I am Caucasians and others predicting I am exotic and when I eventually told them my race they all laughed and one guy judge screamed ‘I told you’ to one of the judges” Zahrah recalls. With all of this experience you would swear that one would never try out again but Zahrah explains to me that she wants to try out next year as she feels she is ready and matured enough to take all the criticism. 




With almost two hours gone, I ask my final questions. She replies to me with “Hell no” as I ask her thoughts are for bloggers making a living out of their blogs such as international bloggers, Bryan Boy, Anna Dello Russo etc, She backs her answer with a business background as she slowly explains to me that the South African economy is not made by even a quarter from the fashion industry which is why bloggers and fashion designer, artist, models and anyone in the design industry will never live a fabulous life by just being in the fashion industry. She rather advises that any blogger who wants to make a living from blogging will need to relocate to either Europe or America. I finally get to my cliché questions and ask her about her future plans: “A cooking book with my mother which we are still trying to come up with a name for, we stuck with ‘Dinner with Mom/Daughter’. The book will feature celebrities making their best dinner dishes with their children”. Zahrah also wants to compile all her blogpost and make them a book for her children and grandchildren to learn about her life. She also derails to her personal life which she tells me she never exposes when being interviewed but she feels somewhat comfortable with telling me. She is currently in a three year relationship with her boyfriend,and planning to move hopefully to Johannesburg after she graduates. She sees herself working for not more than ten years and then settling down as a house wife and writing books. She tells me that she plays guitar every time she is bored and has been playing for more than 5 years, something that a lot of people don’t know.  I put my pen down and close my interview book as I listen to her. Finally the interview is over and I thank Zahrah for taking some time off to have the interview with me and how much fun it was. We take the elevator together and another hug and kiss on the cheek is exchanged and we part ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mai Thai Wellness Spa review.

Press Release: Sissy Boy A/W 2104 Campaign

Fabiani's Sandton Flagship store